Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Safety Cone, a Waterfall, and a Bag

As promised, here is the picture of the safety cone I made last weekend:

I don't think I posted the link yet, so if not, click here.

OK, so this is a bag from Knitty, and I think it is pretty awesome! I can keep all my stuff for one activity in this bag, and not be searching for it all around the house.


The pattern was really easy, but the miles of stockinette got old, and it has been abandoned since late August. A few weeks ago, I said, "I could finish this and then I would be able to do the Christmas presents I need those needles for," (yes, I think I need some more size 10s too) so I sucked it up and finished it. This picture stinks, so I may take a better one soon. (I used a dark yarn with brown, purple, dark red, and royal blue. It's really pretty but it doesn't show up very well without a flash!) So anyway, I think I may still add a button or snap for the flap, because I kind of have to hold it down, and that's slightly annoying. Other than that, I love this pattern and the bag!!! Oh, I made one modification: Instead of the cast on 94 stitches and bind them off for the drawstrings, I chained a whole bunch of stitches until it looked too long, then single crocheted in each one. I missed the part about making two, but it was long enough that after felting I just cut it in half.

One of the reasons I modified the strap was because this was on the needles:




I'm calling it the Waterfall Poncho, because that's the name of this color. The pattern is also from Knitty, but I'm really only using the construction technique. It's a different weight yarn, and I didn't cast on the same number of stitches, and I didn't use two colors, so I'm really not using the pattern part at all! I'm using Lion Brand Homespun in Waterfall. I think it's really pretty, and I noticed while trying it on to check the length that it's really warm! I think it would be cute over a white turtleneck. Or dark blue. There's some of that in the yarn. So maybe I should hurry up and finish before it's too warm to wear it again and I have to wait! (No, I don't really think it will take me four or five months, but you never know.) Right now, it is just over three feet (like my imprecise measurements? then you'll love what's next!) I used my patented At A Glance Guesstimation System* to see that every time I knit two rows, I get about and inch. So, I think I have maybe twenty or thirty rows to go. I'm just trying it on as I go, so it should fit really well!

*If you were wondering, the length of the poncho using the AAGGS was "not long enough" :)