Monday, January 2, 2012

My Last Two Months in Pictures, Part 1

It has been a while since I posted; I think the last post date was in November. Sometimes, I would just rather keep crafting! So here goes, and this is just the beginning!




The first three pictures are of the hem of that skirt I made. I have a deep, dark fear of sewing a real hem, so I did the "hems" before I sewed the front and back together. I probably should have checked to make sure they ended up at the same length, but I didn't even notice until a few weeks later, when I was planning to wear it. I didn't have time to fix it properly, so I just tacked it down with a few stitches so it wasn't as noticeable, and wore it like that. The waistband was a little too big, despite my careful measuring (yeah right) so I used a hair pin to make it tighter for the day. No one asked me if I made it, so I think that's a pretty good sign!






I made this for a friend as a thank-you gift. As you can see in the top picture, I tried to made the stockinette stitch bow before me. It didn't work, shown in the next two pictures. She was very surprised and pleased, so I think another success!


This is George the Elephant King from the book Softies, by Therese Laskey. I didn't make the hat or the collar, and I messed up the legs and the trunk, but he turned out pretty well, I think! I made another one in all blue, following the pattern notes more carefully, and it's a little better looking.




I took the Waterfall Wrap and turned it into a pillow. All I had to do was sew the short ends to make a tube, and cinch the ends. I found the idea on a free pattern card from JoAnn's.




This is a lot of different things, but most importantly, it is a hat. Now, anyway. In these picture it is half of a strip that was made into a hat used the same method described above, but only cinching one end. And I added a pom-pom instead of stuffing it. In the first picture you can see that I switched how I was connecting the colors midway through. I started by having a stitch I was knitting with both strands of yarn, but then I switched to something closer to intarsia, with a little twist (literally and figuratively). I will post a picture of my finished hat (as of noon today!) the next time I post, which may or may not be this week. Hope for the former!