Saturday, October 22, 2011

Care Cards

Hi guys! I have been a little slow with the crafting this week, so I haven't had much to post about, but a few minutes ago I thought I should share this.

Imaginary scenario:

You have spent two months on a 100% wool Fair Isle sweater for a close friend, family member, whatever. You proudly present it to them on your respective holiday or occasion, and they are pleased, promise to wear it a bunch, whatever. (I've never been in this situation, so I'm just assuming that no one has reacted to a hand knit by running around the house screaming and periodically petting said hand knit. Just a guess. I've heard normal people don't act like that.) The next day, they need to wash it, and when you offer to wash it for them, knowing that 100% wool can be hard to wash without fulling (commonly known as felting, but this guy thinks that's not right) but they refuse, saying, "That's awfully nice, but after X years on the planet I think I can handle washing a sweater."

First of all, you should have warned them. Ran after them to protect your hard work from that evil fulling device, the washing machine. But you didn't hear the danger signs, or maybe you weren't there to stop them. And you come home with them holding a felt baby sweater that looks suspiciously like the one you poured hours and hours into and your heart stops and you feel like screaming and the room is going dark and-

OK, I think you get the picture. Bad, bad, very bad. So let's avoid that!!! Please, for all of the people you know and have phone numbers for that would the have to listen to your screams as you realize the truth. So even though I have made exactly two projects for 100% wool, and the term Fair Isle scares me very much, I have made something that could save relationships and sanity everywhere. (Hey, I said could!) Care Cards!!!!

They're like business cards (I used a business card template on my WP program to make them) but instead of personal information I put care information, taken from ball bands and websites. Washing. Drying. Anything else you might need to put there. I have a picture of the project, in case I give them more than one thing and there's a chance they won't see the big type that says what the project is. Just in case. If you don't live with or near the recipient, a phone number or email address (or the website with the yarn info) may be a good idea if they need more information.


Purple Fuzzy Scarf
Christmas 2011
Care Instructions 
Wash:     Machine
Dry:   Machine


This is an example of one I made today. It doesn't have any unnecessary stuff, just some basic: Here's what you do, don't mess up! Please?

So now all you have to do is print and include in the package! Thank me for the lack of tears later. Oh, and if you ever give someone a 100% wool sweater and you think this won't work, tape a No Parking symbol to the washer, and instead of a P put a picture of the project in the circle. 

Now go work on some presents! You deserve some nice yarn after all this reading! :)