Monday, January 28, 2013

Queen Amidala of the Naboo

I had a decent amount of this fabric, which I found in the basement:


My original plan was to make this dress, but I had forgotten the details of the instructions, and I actually didn't have enough. So.... I improvised! First, I was going to make a skirt, but it was a lot shorter than I liked, so I added a ruffle, which I didn't really like, so I sewed the bottom shut, added a strap, and called it a bag:


Before I got to that point, I cut off two pieces, one of which I used to make this maxi dress for my cousin's doll:


It started out strapless, but I thought my aunt and uncle might not appreciate that, so I made it a halter:


It goes well with the strings on the back of her neck.....


Can you spell creepy?! Speaking of creepy, check out the inside of Queen Amidala's head!


I started her last night, and here's what I had this morning:


I had and issue with making the hair/skin division even, so after a few tries, I just decided to do a sort of duplicate stitch over the parts that weren't the color I wanted them to be.

 I used an empty cardboard box for the base, and colored it red so it wouldn't show as much:


This morning I got up at 5 for a trip to my state's capital, but because of some cruddy weather, it got canceled, and know I'm stuck at home all day. (I'm not bitter, I'm not bitter, I swear I'm not bitter!) Luckily, I was able to put the time to good use, and I worked on patching up her hair.



Look's pretty good, eh? It took me over an hour, during which I realized I could never be a hairdresser is real life:


I got so frustrated, I had to resort to drastic measures. Anyway, due to my lack of safety eyes, I can't go any farther on the head (hence the cut yarn) so I did all the other pieces instead:


I have to admit, I didn't think the collar would fit around her neck, but I made it work. However, I was not as happy with the sleeves:


I like the shape of the one on the right a lot more, but I figured it would take forever to make two that matched. I just stuck them on under the collar, and they look fine. I haven't decided if I want to do the whole pipe cleaner thing. I think it might look better if I crocheted a little border instead. Finally, I made her hair:


which happens to look a lot like dog poop. And not in a good way.... I lost count of my rows five or six times, so I just guesstimated for the length. Once I get the eyes, gold metallic thread, and possibly clay (I might  have something that'll work) I'll be able to finish Her Majesty, but for now, I have a date with the TTT:


Have an awesome day!