Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Pi Day!

Today is 3.14, or Pi Day. Of course, 3.14 isn't the exact value of pi, but it's pretty close, so let's just go with it!

-First, we have a little pi plushie from Create!
-Next, the Pi Scarf, from 47's Knitting and Crochet Patterns, which uses the first 100 digits of pi to create its stripe pattern. So cute! So nerdy! So definitely something I want to make!
-Along the same line, the Berry Pe/Pi Beret from abigailscraftshowto.com which I partially put here because the name is so cool!
-And just for fun, a cute little cherry pie pattern from pieknits.

OK, so I have a small problem with my tree skirt. I thought I had worked out a good system for the increases, but as I finished Row 10, I realized it was not so! The edge is starting to ruffle! 


That is quite bad, so I did a little thinking. Ruffles are caused by having too many stitches, or by increasing too fast. In the middle, I had a few problems with ruffling, and I did a few rows without increases to straighten things out. It worked pretty well, until now, so I think I'll do a few rows even until it looks better, then switch back to my pattern as planned, but if I see signs of ruffles, I will do an even row or two. (That does, unfortunately, mean that I have to spread it all the way out after every row.) The other rows will stay the same, so here is my updated chart:



1-274
2-285
3-296
4-307
5-318
6-329
7-340
8-351
9-362
10-373
11-384
12-395
13-406
14-417 This is where I'm supposed to be today
15-428
16-439
17-450
18-461
19-472
20-483
21-494
22-505
23-516
24-527

Only four rows to do today, so I'm catching up!


This is what the tree skirt looked like at the end of Row 10! You can really see the ruffles in this picture, but other than that it looks pretty good! I will take a measurement when I finish Row 12, because it should have grown 4" by then, to 13 1/2".


This is the Pound of Yarn I'm using (the smaller one) and it is actually significantly smaller than a full one (don't ask why I have two) so I'm pretty happy. After all, yarn is like toilet paper. The smaller the roll (or skein), the faster it goes!

I made one other little thing yesterday:


It's a purple nacho! With arms! OK, it's weird. But it's really cute, so I'm just going to go with it! This is what the colors actually look like:


Have a nice Pi Day!