Monday, April 30, 2012

The Stupid Way to Turn a Heel


Before Turning


So on Saturday I decided I had done enough of my heel flap, and I started thinking about turning the heel. I wasn't really sure what that meant, so I did a little Googling. I read a few articles, stared at my sock some, and I was still confused. So, I decided to wing it and hope for the best. Here's what I did:

 What happened was I realized that since I had not really followed the Knitty Gritty Plain Vanilla Socks pattern, I did not have the right number of stitches to use their heel turning numbers. This was a problem, because I didn't know enough theory to make up my own numbers. Luckily, I found this article in Knitty and it just so happened that the example numbers she used for the turning heel section were just right for my sock. I did a little jig, then got down to some serious heel turning.

It didn't go entirely as planned; I ended up with more stitches on one side of the center third then the other and I ended up just purling them all together instead of just two, which is what the pattern said. Then I put loops on a new needle, like it said, but I couldn't figure out how the yarn was supposed to get to the instep stitches so I could work them, but then I realized I needed to knit the stitches I had picked up and I fixed it. Then I went to the other side and did the same thing. And then I did some creative* decreasing and got down to some number around 48. And now I will continue on the foot, hoping for the best!

After Turning

I do have one problem with it, though. The two needles that I picked up stitches on have a row of gaps:


OK, I swear the lighting looked better on my camera, but you can see the gaps, right? Right?

So, the sock continues on, and after more than a little surgery (involving scissors, snipping, and random loops appearing out of nowhere) I hope it goes well from here. Until I have to try grafting.

*random and stupid