Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Little Bee and Baby Blanket

Try saying that five times fast... heh heh heh.




This is a little bee I made for my friend. It took me almost exactly 1.5 hours, which is pretty good for something this cute! I used this pattern from Yellow Pink and Sparkly. I did exactly what it said, except for the wings, which I made a little smaller. They seemed like they were getting a little big for my taste, so I stopped after thirteen single crochets in round three.

side view

love the wings!


Wow! This baby blanket is working up really fast! This morning I had two, maybe three stripes, and now I have 8.5! I'm really happy, because I still have another square and the assembly to do. 


And now, some thoughts about acrylic yarn. More than one blog I've been to has described acrylic yarn as ugly or scratchy, or referred to it in a negative way (i.e. I had to resort to using acrylic yarn). I don't really understand why! Every yarn is different, and the yarn I made these socks out of was the exact some fiber content (100% acrylic) as the two projects above, but they are nothing alike! I don't think it's good to put labels on things and make generalizations, because even two different colors of the exact same yarn felt different to me. The yellow in the bee and the baby blankets are both Red Heart Super Saver. The yellow felt a little scratchy running through my fingers, but the blue was super soft, especially after being knit up. My point is (yes, I have one) don't be a yarn snob! Everyone has their own personal preference, and not all yarns are created equal. (Wait, I think I said that wrong..... Oh well!)

Rant over! Have a nice rest of your day!