Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Attic Hunts

I love hearing stories about people that went into their grandmother's attic, so I was really excited when I found two such bins in my basement. (I know, I know, it's not an attic, but we don't have one!) Anyway, one of them was actually my mom's. She used to be huge on cross stitch, and she has this big bin full of kits, projects she never finished, and the like. The other bin actually did have old stuff (but I'm pretty sure it was from my great-grand-aunts, not my grandma), and it was mostly fabric. Lots of fabric. And some doilies....

I think it's cool that I was the niece that looked through that bin, because a lot of my cousins would have said, "Why would anyone need that much fabric?" and I say, "Wow. Someone had a big plan. Why don't I finish it for them?" In that category, there are things like a whole pile of pinked hearts. I have no idea what they're for, though! I am totally entranced by the idea of making something from this really old fabric and passing it down, through the generations. First, I need a really good project, so I have been doing a lot of research to see what I could make. I'm really excited!

Now, I know what you're all thinking. None of this is on my list, right? Well, I don't care. I won't start any of it, but I am going to keep looking! Besides, I only found this stuff because I thought there might be some of the thread I need in my mom's bin. There wasn't, so I'm going to need to go to Jo-Ann or something. (Am I the only one that thinks that looks wrong? I googled it to check, and that is how it looks on their website.) While I was on their site, I did check that they have DMC thread, so hopefully that will all work out. I also need to pick up another zipper. Hopefully, I will make it there soonish.




To Do To Start:
  • the center square of my HP cross stitch (house emblems)
  • sew the pockets for needle sizes 000-3
  • figure out and implement the closure for the brown skirt
  • make the etching projects
  • sew on ten sequins every day I work on these other things