Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Mini Top Hat Tutorial (Sewing)

Materials:

  1. felt
  2. needle, thread, etc.
  3. sharp scissors

Step 1:

  • Cut out a felt rectangle: 


  • To get the size, fold it into a tube (hamburger style). It should be about an inch longer than you want it, and a little taller.
  • This is the point where you add any kind of embroidery, applique, etc. Trust me, it is a pain to try to do it at the end. (And I'm speaking from personal experience here. Don't laugh!)

Step 2:

  • Sew the short ends of the rectangle together with the right sides together:

 Step 3:

  • Put the tube on some more felt and trace around it, leaving a lot around the edge:


  • It should be bigger than you think it needs to be. If it looks right, it's too small. (Not that I had to pull my first one off and try again or anything.....)
  • Don't throw the scraps away; you need them later!

Step 4:

  • Sew the circle onto the tube:

  • For this hat, I did this while the tube was still inside out. I've done it the other way before, and I think I like it better.

Step 5:

  • Using the scrap from step 3 as a stencil, draw another circle onto more felt:
  • Then draw another circle around it to make a donut shape:


  • Once again, if it looks big enough, it's not. It's easier to trim or take it in than to rip it out and start over.

Step 6:



  • Cut out the donut:


  • But beware: this is the only time bigger is not better. Cut the inside circle smaller than the line you drew.

Step 7:

  • Sew the donut brim onto the center of the hat. (I don't have an in-progress picture of it, but I think you can figure it out.)

Step 8: 

  • If you cut the inner circle too big, you're not alone. I totally did that too. Lucky for us, I also have a solution:


  • Seriously. Just cut a slit in the brim. I suggest trying to make it line up with the seam of the tube, so you don't end up with this:
  • You can now just pick one of the strips to sew on. Once you're about a 1/2 inch from the end of one strip. you can sew them together (making sure the seam allowance points down). 

You're done! There are an infinite number of uses for this: make one of those headbands, use it for doll clothes, or if you're me, slap a dollar sign on it (aforementioned applique) and call it a Civics project.


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Happy sewing!