Tuesday, March 5, 2013

One Hat, Two Hat; Red Hat, Blue Hat

I would just like to say now that I was originally going to have a ton of pictures today. But I decided to save some of them for tomorrow, when I'll be posting a tutorial for the top hat. So, today will be mostly for the baseball hat. I took more pictures than usual (that's not saying much), so you can actually see it coming together.

First, I cut out the pieces:


For a pattern, I used the picture from this site (about half way down the page). Since this is a project about the president, I went all national colors on it. Then, I hand stitched all the triangles together, with a little circle to cover up the center:


(Aside: Doesn't this kind of look like the radiation symbol? I feel like I could use that...) Here's a picture of the back:


Up to that point, it was pretty simple to get everything lined up. Then came the visor. When you put it how it's supposed to be, it lines up fine, right?


No problem. But when you put the right sides together to sew, it obviously doesn't work:


This involved some tugging, stretching, and pulling, but I promise, it will work. And the finished product:


I think it's really cool. My plan is to do something like this to all the hats to make them stiff. I'm also hoping that will help the cap keep its shape. Then, I'll add "price tags" with the information I need. I'm also done with Hat #2:


Once I finish stitching the $ on I'll be good. I'll have more details and pictures tomorrow.