Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Review: A Short History of Nearly Everything

Today's review is of a nonfiction book, which, I have to admit, I haven't finished yet. However, it's not like there's going to be some twist ending, so I think it's okay for me to be writing this now.

This fall, I'll be starting high school, and half the time I'll be at a special school for nerds (not really, but since it's for people that are good at math and science, so it's basically the same thing). They assigned us this book to read over the summer, and so far I'm loving it. It's called A Short History of Nearly Everything, and it's by Bill Bryson. It really is exactly what it sounds like. So far (I'm almost half way done) it's covered everything from the beginning of the universe to the discovery of tectonic plates. Chemistry, physics, geology, and even a bit of alchemy! The best part is, it's not written by a scientist, so the only time it gets really technical and confusing is when he's quoting someone else (and it's usually to make a point about how technical and confusing their book/paper was). He explains everything assuming that you only have common knowledge, and he explains it so you can actually understand it. (The humorous and slightly sarcastic tone doesn't hurt, either!) If you have any interest at all in science, you should check out A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

Have an awesome weekend, and I'll be back next week with another update!