Thursday, August 16, 2012

Do Birds Eat M&Ms?

After I finished yesterday's post, my plan was to finish the dark blue thread on the bird bag, but I got bored, so I started designing an M&M dishcloth. It's a lot harder than it looks!

I started by printing out some knitting graph paper, which I found here. I wasn't exactly sure how to make a circle, so I started by shading in the M in the center. (I used this picture to get the shape right.) Then, I took a compass and lightly drew a circle around the M. After that, I just had to shade in the blocks the line passed through, to get the outline of the circle.

Once I had the basic shape, I decided that shaded was garter stitch, and blank was stockinette. I wanted the background and M to be stockinette, and the border and circle to be garter, so I just erased and shaded to get that right.

I've never worked from a chart, so I wanted to convert it into words. Unfortunately, I was having issues with getting it to work. Actually, I'm still having issues. I decided to just knit it up and hope for the best, because I need a place to start!

I'm just  switching between those two things: the bird bag, and this evil dishcloth. Wish me luck!



My Crafty Christmas To-Do List

  • buy supplies for, and make, two etching projects
  • buy yarn for, and make, a mohawk hat (I have a printed pattern, I just can't find the link right now)
  • make two more (better) globe knot necklaces
  • make two cross stitch ornaments (I have a kit with 30)
  • finish the bird bag
  • finish the M&M dishcloth (this could take a while, since I have to mess with the pattern too)