Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I Heart Glue. You Should Too.

Yesterday I mentioned that I was going to talk about decoupage today, so here you go:

For those of you that don't know, decoupage is "the technique of decorating a surface with cutouts, as with paper." At least, that's what the dictionary says. I think of it as dunking ripped up tissue paper in Modge Podge and slapping them on something, but that's a little less scientific. I've actually only done it once, but it's not exactly something that takes a lot of practice. You kind of just have to do it!

The one thing you really need to remember is this: What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything? Glue. That's what. The tissue paper ripped when you were putting it on? Wait a little while, then use glue and add more. The tissue paper won't stay flat on the object? Once it's dry, lightly spread some glue in the offending area. Glue is your new best friend! You must take it on walks in the park, and eat a romantic dinner while it watches! (OK, so maybe you're dating the glue?) Anyway, learn to love the glue.

I'm going to be making something a little bit like this, but I'm going to have a striped background, and I'm going to use a Christmas tree, not a Jack O'Lantern. I am about halfway done right now, and I'm waiting for it to dry so I can touch it up.

I'm running out of adjectives to describe the October things. So I'm giving up. Here is an Autumn Leaves Fridgie:

Picture from Crochet Memories.

Go make it. I like it. (There will be no more discussion on this topic.)


To Do To Start:
  • the house emblems on my HP cross stitch
  • handsew a zipper to the brown skirt
  • do the decoupage
  • sew on ten sequins every day I work on these other things